Greetings! Welcome to kelvinsmusings.com!
I’m Kelvin from sunny Singapore where I live with my lovely wife and two boys, born 2009 and 2011.
In this blog www.kelvinsmusings.com, I muse about…
1. …my unfinished journey as a husband & stay home father of two sons (the youngest with autism),
2. … parenting & family values, and how to advocate for them,
3. …the ups & downs of my writing experience, and
4. …issues dealing with work, education (I teach part-time), society & life.
(A fuller explanation about my blog’s genesis and purpose can be found here)
Since 2019, I’ve taken part in numerous conversations, forums, engagement sessions, in-depth interviews and autism-related research studies with local institutions like the Ministry of Education, Institute of Policy Studies, and the Institute of Mental Health’s Child Guidance Clinic.
I’ve also been approached regularly to speak on issues involving fatherhood, family, and society (some arguably controversial!).
These have led to appearances on various podcasts, radio & TV programmes, namely:
1. The Institute of Policy Studies‘ podcast IPS On Diversity (Season 2 Episode 2, published 28 Dec 2021), where I spoke about masculinity and my journey as a stay home dad
2. national broadcaster Mediacorp’s parenting podcast Hey Mama!
…2021 Season 2 Episode 4, published 26 Oct on being a stay home dad;
…2022 Season 3 Episode 2, published 21 Apr on caring for special needs kids; &
…2022 Season 3 Episode 4, published 19 May on schooling stress.
3…and radio programmes
…Weekend Life (13 Jun 2021),
…Money Mind (13 Feb 2020) &
…Night Life (30 Jan 2020)
4. as well as Mediacorp’s TV programme Talking Point in
Students from various local educational institutions have also interviewed me for tertiary school projects about autism and stay home dads. They include:
> Singapore Polytechnic (June 2020 & Apr 2022),
> Victoria Junior College (July 2020),
> River Valley High School (Sep 2020),
> Nanyang Technological University‘s Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information (Sep 2021), and
> Singapore University of Social Sciences or SUSS (23 Oct 2021) supported by SG Assist
Since April 2019, I upload a blog post two to three times a week. You can also find my writings in:
1. The Straits Times on
> 20 Mar 2021 “Better for all parties to work together to address bullying“
> 19 Oct 2020 “Right to disconnect law needed as working from home picks up“
> 6 Nov 2018, and before
> 18 Jun 2021 “It wasn’t easy to convince myself I am ‘masculine and useful’ as a stay-home dad“
> 3 Apr 2021 “Give prompt notice to residents on lift maintenance work“
3. CaringSG blog site (CaringSG is a caregiver-led initiative for special needs caregivers and the community)
4. SaltAndLight on
> 24 Jan 2022 “My son who has special needs just turned 11; my heart aches“
> 28 Nov 2021 “Letter from a father to his son after the PSLE results“
> 27 Jul 2021 “Tragedy and grief in our schools, but the language of friendship speaks healing and hope“
> 6 Apr 2021 “Learning to accept my son’s autism: a father’s continuing journey“
> 21 Sep 2020 “Staying at home for my son with autism: one dad adjusts to life without a job title“
5. thir.st on
— Valentines Day 2021 “Happy Valentines Day: a letter from a dad to a son“
— Father’s Day 2020 “Please Lord can I have 50 more Fathers Days?“
6. The New Age Parents, Jun 2020 “Father’s Day Special: Why Fatherhood is An Honour“
If any of my writings strikes a chord with you, please like it and drop me a comment at the end of my posts ok? I would love to know how my blog posts resonate with you (Or not!).
Better yet, subscribe now by leaving me your email so you can be kept posted whenever I put up something new yah?
Thank you, and happy reading!